The Tennis Channel 1. Who Can Apply?
2007 Write To Roland Garros
Official Writing Guidelines
The "2007 Write To Roland Garros" (the "Audition") is an open audition to all aspiring tennis journalists who are eighteen years of age or older as of January 22, 2007. Applicants must be legal U.S. citizens residing within the continental United States, have a valid U.S. passport, and be available to travel to Paris, France from June 1, 2007 through June 11, 2007. 2. What Do I Write About?
The audition has two rounds. For the first round, all writers must respond to the question, "If you were appointed Commissioner of Tennis for a day, what is the one change you would make?" Writers are permitted up to 500 words per submission. 3. How Will Writing Submissions Be Judged?
Submissions will be judged by The Tennis Channel's editorial board. Decisions by the board will be based upon writer's knowledge of the sport of tennis, originality of ideas and writing style. Submissions may be posted on the Tennis Channel's website, and opinions obtained from members of our online community at www.thetennischannel.com (the "Website"). 4. How Do I Get the Job?
From all the approved submissions received, The Tennis Channel editorial board will select up to ten (10) submissions that they deem to be the best. These selected writers will be sent a second writing assignment via email. Based upon this second round, the board will select up to five (5) finalists. The board will then review the second round selections and select one (1) writer for the Roland Garros Assignment. 4. When is the First Round Deadline?
All first round written submissions must be received by 6:00 PM Pacific Standard Time on March 2, 2007. 5. How Do I Submit My Writing?
Submissions will be accepted on the Website. Visit www.thetennischannel.com, click on the "Write to Roland Garros" icon or text link which will take you to the entry form. Once there, follow the instructions, and fill out all the required entry information and submit your writing sample. Only one entry per person, please! 6. How Will Writers Be Notified?
If an applicant is chosen to advance to a subsequent round of the audition, the applicant will be notified by The Tennis Channel via email. 6. What Will the Final Selected Writer Receive?
The individual judged the best writer will have the opportunity to report from Roland Garros during the second week of the 2007 French Open for The Tennis Channel. The selected writer will fly to Paris, France and will be required to report from on the Roland Garros tournament, including without limitation, write regular columns covering the tournament, (as required by The Tennis Channel in its sole discretion), and may also include, without limitation, writing one (1) blog per day for the Website, taking digital photos at the tournament to be posted on the Website, answering daily questions from Website users on the Website's message board, and performing other customary journalistic duties, as requested by The Tennis Channel. Writer will also be required to be available for player interviews and other promotional efforts.
The Tennis Channel will provide writer with round trip coach class airline transport from a major airport near writer's residence (to be selected at The Tennis Channel's discretion) to Paris, France, standard hotel accommodations for ten (10) nights in Paris, Roland Garros press credentials for the duration of the Assignment, meals while working on the tournament grounds, and will be paid $100 for each day that writer actually covers the tournament (i.e. excluding travel and set-up days). 7. Are There Any Additional Requirements?
Yes. Please read the following legal terms:
By sending any submission hereunder to the Website, each applicant (the "Applicant") agrees to the following terms and conditions (the "Agreement"):
1. OWNERSHIP. Applicant hereby warrants and represents: (a) that all written material (the "Material") was created and is solely owned by and wholly original works of Applicant, and that no other party has any rights or interest in the Material; (b) all Material submitted will in no way be defamatory in nature (including libel), or otherwise violate any right of privacy or publicity or any other personal or property right.; and (c) that Applicant has full right to submit the Material to The Tennis Channel, Inc. ("TTC") upon all of the terms and conditions stated in this Agreement. Applicant agrees to indemnify TTC, its successors, assignees and licensees from any and all claims, loss or liability (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that may be asserted against TTC or incurred by TTC at any time in connection with the Material, including without limitation, materials created/provided by Applicant inclusive of libel, slander, defamation, invasion of the right of privacy, or violation or infringement of copyright or trademark, literary rights or otherwise, or any use thereof, arising from any breach or alleged breach of these warranties. Once submitted, Material becomes the sole property of TTC and may not be acknowledged or returned.
The Material will be TTC's sole and exclusive property, in perpetuity, throughout the universe, in all media, together with all licenses, rights of every kind and nature, privileges, ancillary rights, copyrights and rights to renew and extend copyrights in and to any or all of the Material. Applicant hereby transfers and assigns all copyrights and all intellectual property or other claim Applicant may ever have in any of the Material to TTC. Applicant expressly waives any personal or proprietary rights and any "moral rights of authors," now or hereafter recognized, in and to any and all of the Material. TTC's rights to the Material includes, without limitation, the exclusive and unlimited right to exhibit, perform, display, change, alter, revise, edit, dub, add to, subtract from, combine with other material, distribute, merchandise, market and otherwise exploit any and all of the Material. All rights to the Material granted to TTC in this Agreement are irrevocable and will immediately vest and remain vested in TTC, its successors, and assigns forever and cannot be rescinded by Applicant for any cause whatsoever whether this Agreement expires in its normal course or is sooner terminated for any cause or reason. The Material may be reproduced in any and all media by TTC, for any purpose, without compensation to Applicant. False or deceptive entries or acts, as determined by TTC in its sole discretion, will render the entrant ineligible.
2. ELIGBILITY. Eligibility, age and all claims made by Applicant is subject to verification. If selected for the Roland Garros reporting assignment (the "Assignment"), Applicant may be required to submit to a background check, and will be required to enter into a written agreement (the "Writer's Agreement") with TTC. TTC is not responsible for fraudulent email sent to Applicants not by TTC. If Applicant cannot be reached after a reasonable effort has been exerted, or if he/she is found to be ineligible, an alternate writer may be selected in TTC's sole discretion. If notification is returned as undeliverable or if Applicant fails to respond to notification attempts, Applicant may be disqualified, and an alternate Applicant may be selected in TTC's sole discretion. In the event the Applicant declines the Assignment or Applicant fails a back ground check or fails to return to TTC a signed copy of the Writer's Agreement, or fails any other requirements included in this Agreement, TTC may elect, in its own discretion, to select an alternate Applicant. If a dispute arises regarding who submitted a submission, the submission will be deemed submitted by the holder of the e-mail account as determined by TTC. By accepting the Assignment, selected Applicant consents to the use of their name, photograph and likeness, without additional compensation, for advertising, trade and promotional purposes in all media, whether now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity, except where prohibited by law. If a selected Applicant fails to comply with official rules and/or to submit required documentation within the designated period, the Assignment will be forfeited and an alternate Applicant may be selected at TTC's sole discretion. TTC shall not be responsible or liable for its failure to contact Applicant due to an incorrect, out of date or undeliverable email address or telephone number. Applicants should be sure to update their user accounts regularly with their correct contact information so that they will be able to receive notifications.
3. RELEASE OF LIABILTY. Applicants agree to release the TTC from any and all liability claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, death, damages or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with the Assignment, or while preparing for, participating in, utilizing and/or traveling to any Assignment related activity, including any indirect, incidental, consequential or punitive damages. TTC expressly disclaims any responsibility or liability for injury, death or loss to any person or property relating to the Assignment delivery and/or subsequent use, malfunction, availability, and delay in delivery with respect to the Assignment. TTC shall not be liable to Applicant or any other person for failure to provide the Assignment or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God, any action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action(s), regulations(s), order(s) or request(s) prove(s) to be invalid), equipment failure, terrorist acts, earthquake, war, fire, flood, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond TTC's sole control. TTC may modify, rescind, cancel or revoke the Audition at any time in their sole discretion without notice or liability. Applicants who attempt to tamper with this Audition in any way shall be disqualified. Any attempt to deliberately damage the Audition or operation of the Audition is unlawful and subject to legal action by TTC who may seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
By participating in the Audition, Applicant agrees that TTC, their respective officers, directors and employees, and their agents, representatives, parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors are not responsible for and shall not be liable for:
a) late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible entries, lost, misdirected or otherwise undeliverable mail, or postage-due notices, release forms, agreements or other correspondence;
b) any telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, slow-downs, failures, or difficulties of any kind;
c) failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions;
d) human error, incorrect or inaccurate transcription of entries;
e) any condition caused by events beyond the reasonable control of the TTC that may cause the Audition to be disrupted or corrupted, however minor;
f) any unauthorized entries or manipulation by a person;
g) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated to the Audition, or errors attributable to a malfunctioning screen or pop-up window associated with the Audition;
h) any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy;
i) any damage to any Applicant's (or any third person's) computer and/or its contents related to or resulting from any part of this Audition.
4. CANCELLATION. TTC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel or modify the Audition at any time for any reason, including without limitation, if a computer virus, bug, malfunction, manipulation or other technical problem, regardless of the cause, affects, compromises, or corrupts the administration, security, or proper function of the Audition. Notice of cancellation will be posted at the Entry Site. An entry that is not obtained through authorized legitimate methods, or is the result of manipulation, mechanical, electronic, digital or computer or other error, is void. In addition to the foregoing, if for any reason (including, but not limited to, strikes, lock-outs, acts of God, technical difficulties, and other events not within the reasonable control of TTC) TTC cannot continue the Audition, TTC may, in its sole discretion, cancel this Audition or extend the Audition period.
5. Governing Law. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of this Agreement, or the rights and obligations of any Applicant and of TTC, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of California. In any action brought to enforce the obligation or right of any party hereunder they consent to personal jurisdiction and venue in any court of appropriate jurisdiction in Los Angeles County, California. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Agreementshall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision.
Participation in the Audition and Applicant's acceptance of the terms and conditions hereunder constitutes Applicant's understanding of and full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of this Agreement. TTC reserves the right to disqualify any Applicant for any reason including without limitation any Applicant that TTC determines to be in violation of any term contained in this Agreement. TTC's decision not to enforce a specific provision of this Agreementdoes not constitute a waiver of that provision or of this Agreementgenerally.