Located only 100 miles from Los Angeles, Palm Springs has been a favorite place for the Hollywood elite to play since the 30's. Once known as the "Playground of the Stars," Palm Springs is a small city with the legacy, amenities and history of a large, cosmopolitan city. Palm Springs lies at the foot of one of Southern California's most majestic mountain peaks, 10,834-foot tall Mount San Jacinto, whose eastern flank abuts downtown. It is not unusual to swim in 80-degree weather while looking up at snow covered peaks. Palm Spring boasts some of the top tennis and golf resorts in the world. Palm Springs Facts
- Tennis is considered the "original sport" of Palm Springs.
- There are over 300 tennis courts in the Palm Springs area.
- The Coachella Valley includes 9 cities: Palm Springs, Indian Wells, Indio, La Quinta, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, Desert Hot Springs, and Coachella.
- The Palm Springs area features a number of world class sporting events including the Pacific Life Open, one of the most significant tennis events in the world, after the four Grand Slam tournaments.
- The Pacific Life has been in the Coachella Valley since 1976. Started at Mission Hills Country Club, then moved to La Quinta from 1981-1986, from 1987 - 1999 it was at the Hyatt Grand Champions and from 2000 on it's been at Indian Wells Garden.
- Average yearly temp is 75
- Average yearly rainfall is around 3 inches.
- Palm Springs averages 350 days of sunshine.
- Tennis tournaments at the Racquet Club and Tennis Club brought the city worldwide acclaim.
- Delmuth Park. 4 courts. 4375 Mesquite Avenue. Palm Springs. 323-8272
- Sunrise Country Club Tennis Lessons. Palm Springs. Call for Information 328-7055
- Palm Springs High School. 6 courts. Available to public on weekends, holidays and summer. Free. 2248 East Ramon Road. Palm Springs
- Ruth Hardy Park. 8 courts. Free. Tamarisk Road and Avenida Caballeros. Palm Springs.
- The Tennis Center. 9 courts. 1300 East Baristo Road. 320-0020. Palm Springs.
- Coachella Tennis Center. 4 courts. Bagdouma Park, 51-721 Douma at Baghdad. Palm Springs.
- College of the Desert. 6 courts. Free. 43-500 Monterey Avenue. Palm Desert. 346-8041.
- Edgehill Tennis Courts. 2 courts. 45-825 Willow Street at Pitahaya. Palm Desert.
- Indio High School. 6 courts. Free. Corner of Avenue 46 and Clinton Street. Indio. 345-8081.
- Jackson School. 4 courts. Free. 82-850 Kenner Street. Indio. 345-8081.
- Palm Desert Civic Center Park. 6 courts. Free. 43-900 Sand Pablo Street. Palm Desert. 773-2326.
- Palm Desert Resort Country Club. 16 courts. 77-333 Country Club Drive. Palm Desert. 345-2791.
- South Jackson Park. 2 courts. Free. Jackson Street and Dale Avenue. Indio.
- Wardman Park. 2 courts. Free. 8th Street and Cactus Drive. Desert Hot Springs. 329-9147.