|Los Angeles City Parks
The Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks manages an extensive inventory of tennis courts around town, a mix of open-play free courts and paid facilities with a central telephone reservation system. All paid facilities charge $8 an hour weekdays after 4 p.m. and all day on weekends, or $5 an hour weekdays before 4 p.m. To book court time in advance, you must first register for a Tennis Reservation Card with an annual fee of $15 for city residents, $30 for nonresidents. Go to www.laparks.org for detailed instructions and a downloadable registration form.
The LADRP pay tennis centers are at the following eight locations. For further details and complete listings of LADRP courts, go to www.laparks.org .
- Balboa: 16 lighted courts adjacent to the Balboa Golf Course in the San Fernando Valley, with free play hours weekdays from noon to 5 p.m. (17015 Burbank Blvd., Encino, 818-995-6570)
- Cheviot Hills: 14 lighted courts at the southeast corner of the Rancho Park Golf Course in West L.A., near Beverly Hills and Culver City (2551 Motor Ave., 310-836-8879)
- Griffith Park-Riverside: 12 lighted courts sandwiched between Interstate 5 and Riverside Drive at the southeast corner of Griffith Park (3401 Riverside Dr., 323-661-5318)
- Griffith Park-Vermont Canyon: 12 courts (no lights) at a quieter location in south-central Griffith Park, with free play hours weekdays from 5 to 7 p.m. (2715 Vermont Canyon Road, 323-664-3521)
- Pacific Palisades: eight lighted courts at the Palisades Recreation Center off Sunset Boulevard in West Los Angeles (851 Alma Real Dr., Pacific Palisades, 310-573-1331)
- Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks: eight lighted courts in the San Fernando Valley community of Van Nuys (14201 Huston St., Van Nuys, tel. 818-756-8400)
- Westchester: eight lighted courts adjacent to the Westchester Golf Course just north of Los Angeles International Airport (7000 W. Manchester Ave., 310-649-4886)
- Westwood: eight lighted courts at a community park south of UCLA near Interstate 405 and Wilshire Boulevard (1350 Sepulveda Blvd., 310-575-8299)
La Cienega Tennis Center, Beverly Hills
This handsome municipal facility at 325 S. La Cienega Blvd. has 16 lighted courts and a pro shop, with a year-round program of camps, classes and tournaments. Nonresidents pay $8.50 an hour weekdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., or $9.75 weekdays from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. and all day on weekends. If you purchase a Beverly Hills Leisure Services Card (14.25 per year for nonresidents), you can reserve courts up to four days in advance (one week for Beverly Hills residents). The center also handles reservations for four municipal courts at Roxbury Park (401 S. Roxbury Drive), and six more at Beverly Hills High (241 Moreno Drive). Information: www.beverlyhillstennis.com, (310) 652-7555.
Anaheim Tennis Center
A dozen lighted courts are available at Anaheim's convivial municipal tennis club, located minutes away from the Disneyland Resort. The clubhouse and pro shop are housed in a vintage home built in the 1890s at 975 South State College Blvd., with an ongoing program of lessons, tournaments and social activities. Court time generally costs $6 or $8 an hour, with discounts for children, seniors and afternoon play. Reservations are possible three days in advance for nonmembers, four days for members. Information: www.anaheimtenniscenter.com, (714) 991-9090.
Long Beach Tennis
The city of Long Beach in southern Los Angeles County is home to a pair of well-equipped municipal tennis facilities, each offering classes, private instruction, league play and tournaments. Eight lighted courts are available at the Billie Jean King Tennis Center near the Pacific Coast Highway, with an additional 15 lighted courts a few miles away at the El Dorado Park Tennis Center. Each facility has its own pro shop and racket restringing service, with court fees of $5 an hour weekdays before 4 p.m., $9 an hour weekdays after 4 p.m. and all day on weekends. Advance reservations are possible up to a week in advance, or more than a week in advance with an additional fee of $1 per hour. Information: www.longbeachtennis.com, (562) 438 8509 (Billie Jean King) or (562) 425-0553 (El Dorado Park).