Carmel-by-the-Sea, sometimes abbreviated as Carmel, is a small town endowed with a rich artistic history situated on the Monterey Peninsula in Monterey County, California. The picturesque landscape is home to some of the word's best golf and tennis resorts.Carmel-by-the-Sea Facts:
- Carmel-by-the-Sea is abbreviated as Carmel.
- Temperature: Average year round temperature is 59. Average summer temperature ranges from 51 to 68. Average winter temperature ranges from 44 to 61.
- Rain Days: Average 19 days per year. Average yearly rainfall is 18 inches, falling primarily between November and April.
- Water Temperature: Average low 50s all year.
- Toward the close of the nineteenth century, outsiders discovered the beauty of the area. The establishment of the Del Monte Hotel - the most palatial resort the West Coast had ever seen - made the area a world class resort destination. With such high-end visitors, resorts stared offering leisure and sports activities to meet their guest's needs and the game of tennis flourished.
- The Del Monte Golf Course introduced the game of golf to California in 1897, commencing the region's love affair with golf. Today the Peninsula is considered one of the top golf destinations in the world, and is home to dozens of award-winning courses.
- After the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, many artists, writers and musicians moved to Carmel to escape the devastation of the city. During this time, writers and artists such as Henry Miller, Robinson Jeffers, and Ansel Adams discovered the inspiring beauty of Monterey Bay, adding their legacy to the region while capturing its magic on canvas, paper and film.
- In the 1940s and 50s, Hollywood discovered the Monterey Peninsula as a movie backdrop and Carmel Valley as a hideaway to the stars, a tradition that continues to this day.
- The city of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California is a one square mile village surrounded by the unincorporated areas of Carmel, Pebble Beach, Carmel Valley and Carmel Highlands.
- Local law preserves Carmel's rustic quaintness by prohibiting stop lights, neon signs, live music in bars and commercial enterprise on the beach.
- In 1986 actor Clint Eastwood was elected mayor of Carmel, capturing 72 percent of the vote and served for two years.
- Flying Fish Grill
Mission Street and Seventh Avenue
Carmel, CA 93923
Hours: Wed to Mon 5:00 -10:00 ,
- The Restaurant at Mission Ranch
*Owned by Clint Eastwood
26270 Dolores St
Opens at 4:00 pm
- The Forge in the Forest
SW corner of 5th and Junipero
Opens at 11:00 am
- Cypress Inn - Bar opens at 5:00 pm
*Hotel that's partically owned by Doris Day.
Corner of Lincoln and 7th
- Carmel Bakery
On Ocean Ave between Dolores & Lincoln, Carmel, CA 93923
- Jack London's Bar and Grill
On Dolores between 5th & 6th, Carmel, Ca 93923
"Carmel's Most Romantic Restaurant"
5th Street between Mission and San Carlos
Carmel, CA 93921
"Known for using local ingredients"
6th St & Mission, Carmel CA
Across from the Fire Station on 6th
Lunch: 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Dinner: 5:00 - 9:00