Switzerland defeated France in the Davis Cup final this past weekend, and has finally won the Davis Cup for the first time ever. And not only did Roger Federer finally get his Davis Cup title, but in so doing he also became just the 4th player to win all 4 Grand Slams AND the Davis Cup, sharing that honor with good company… Rod Laver, Andre Agassi and Rafael Nadal.
Rafael Nadal has plans to open a tennis academy in Mallorca in 2016. A ground breaking ceremony was recently held…Nadal says ''this is a special day for me, this project that we have been working on for many years is finally a reality.'' He says the plan is to''begin with a summer camp in 2016.''
Several updates on the coaching scene this week:
- Simona Halep has hired fellow Romanian Victor Ionita as her new coach and will also bring Thomas Hogstedt on board as a coaching consultant.
- Nick Saviano announced this week that he and Eugenie Bouchard have agreed to end their long-standing player-coach relationship. “Genie and I have decided that it is best for us to end our player-coach relationship and to move in different directions for 2015. Helping Genie grow from an ambitious 12-year-old to No. 5 in the world has been an exciting journey,” shared Saviano.
- Andy Murray has committed to coach Amelie Mauresmo and announced a split with long-time assistant coach Dani Vallverdu and fitness trainer Jez Green.
- Ana Ivanovic’s former coach Nemanja Kontic will be teaming up with Kristina Mladenovic.
- Sergiy Stakhovsky has hired “the Magician” Fabrice Santoro as his new coach.
Tennis Hall of Famer and great American champion. Dodo Cheney, passed away this week at age 98. The daughter of Wimbledon and U.S. Nationals Champion and fellow Hall of Famer May Sutton Bundy, Cheney won the 1938 Australian Open as well as 391 gold balls (USTA National Championships) and played well into her 90’s.
Nick Kyrgios was recently recognized as Australia’s most outstanding tennis player in 2014 and was awarded Australia’s top tennis honor, the prestigious Newcombe Medal. Kyrgios is the youngest player to ever win the award.
The International Tennis Federation and the International Tennis Hall of Fame have honored Guy Forget and Henri Leconte with the 2014 Davis Cup Award of Excellence.
Cari Buck is a fan, player, coach and industry professional,with over 25 years experience. Check back weekly for new editions of BaselineBeat, and follow on Twitter @BaselineBeat.