The Kids are Alright….US juniors scored big at this years’ Orange Bowl. Stefan Kozlov and Sofia Kenin won the boys’ and girls’ 18s singles titles at the Metropolia Orange Bowl for the first US sweep at the event since 2004. Kozlov also went on to win the Boys 18 doubles title with fellow American Michael Mmoh. Cici Bellis also grabbed headlines when she secured the girls' year-end No. 1 World ranking! She's the second American girl in three years to rank No. 1 at year's end. Taylor Townsend accomplished the feat in 2012, but prior to that it had been three decades since an American girl held that distinction.
More updates from the Coaching Carousel:
- Top-ranked American men’s tennis player John Isner has announced a new coaching agreement with Justin Gimelstob, for the full 2015 season.
- Sam Querrey is now being coached by Tom Gullikson, who was the United States’ Davis Cup captain from 1994 through 1999.
- Stevie Johnson is now working with Peter Lucassen, who was a teammate of his at the University of Southern California.
- Martina Navratilova will be working with Agnieszka Radwanska, the 2012 Wimbledon runner-up and No. 6 in this season's final WTA rankings.
- Madison Keys, who spent the fall working with Lindsay Davenport, reported that that she had hired Simona Halep’s old coach Wim Fissette, but after just a few short days, Keys announced that she is sticking with Davenport.
- World No. 7 Tomas Berdych has announced that he will be coached by Dani Vallverdu (Andy Murray’s long time hitting partner) and Azuz Simcich.
- Daniela Hantuchova, currently ranked No. 63, announced today on twitter that she will be working with Li Na’s former coach Carlos Rodriguez for the 2015 season.
The Indian Aces were crowned champions of the inaugural International Premier Tennis League last week. With the success of the inaugural season, including the participation of some of the top stars and fan-friendly scoring formats, apparently plans are already in place for the league to expand from four to six teams in 2015.
Jack Sock tweeted a picture of himself this week claiming, he’ll be back on the the tour in Memphis, after undergoing hip surgery. This means John Isner will make a Hopman Cup return for the US team, with the national number one replacing Jack Sock in the line-up. Benoit Paire will also be stepping in for France, replacing Jo-Wilfried Tsonga who is still suffering from an arm injury.
Agnieszka Radwanska’s Fed Cup play was nothing short of outstanding this year, taking Poland into the World Group for the first time since 1994. And for her efforts she has been awarded the ITF’s Most Valuable Player award.
A trio WTA stars made Sports Illustrated's list of the Fittest 50 Women in sports. Sports Illustrated has identified the Fittest 50 Women in sports, using strength, speed, endurance and agility as the criteria. WTA stars Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and Caroline Wozniacki were all featured on the list.
This week Tommy Hilfiger announced Rafael Nadal as Global Brand Ambassador for their Underwear and Tailored Collections. Nadal will appear in the ‘Tommy Hilfiger’underwear and tailored campaigns, beginning fall 2015.
Cari Buck is a fan, player, coach and industry professional, with over 25 years experience. Check back weekly for new editions of BaselineBeat, and follow on Twitter @BaselineBeat.