Job Description for
Director of Programming
|Tennis Channel (www.tennischannel.com) is the only 24-hour, television-based multimedia destination dedicated to both the professional sport and tennis lifestyle. A hybrid of comprehensive sports, health, fitness, pop culture, entertainment, lifestyle and travel programming, the network is home to every aspect of the wide-ranging, worldwide tennis community. It also has the most concentrated single-sport coverage in television, with telecast rights to the US Open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros (French Open), Australian Open, Olympus US Open Series, ATP Masters Series, top-tier Sony Ericsson WTA Tour championship competitions, Davis Cup and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas, and Hyundai Hopman Cup. Tennis Channel is carried by nine of the top 10 MSOs, Verizon FiOS TV, and has a national footprint via DIRECTV and DISH Network.
Position: The Director of Programming provides programming strategies, direction and analytical support for on-air placement of current and future programming content and provides management and leadership of Program Scheduling staff. The ideal candidate is a sports aficionado who emanates from a Sports Cable background.
Daily Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Plans short and long-term strategic program scheduling and maintains program schedules throughout the year
• Negotiates program agreements, as directed
• Collaborates with Acquisitions personnel to identify, coordinate and implement future programming stunts and events
• Leads and facilitates Programming team collaboration with Finance personnel to coordinate, submit and analyze Profit & Loss requests for potential program acquisitions and/or renewals
• Loads upfront program schedule for the purpose of building the Annual financial plan and for the Ad Sales Upfront selling period
• Communicates Programming department’s contract obligations to internal departments, external production houses, and other industry professionals in a timely manner
• Regularly interacts with key departments including Production, Marketing, Affiliate Sales, Ad Sales, Finance, Commercial Operations and tennischannel.com
• Develops strong relationships with Tennis industry governing bodies, third-party event rights holders and program packagers
• Regularly researches, identifies and recommends programming initiatives across all platforms to maximize the value of all content
• Evaluates alternative programming opportunities and develops new, strategic opportunities to help execute the company’s creative vision and maintain the integrity of the brand
• Prepares specific reports and presentations for Senior management and creates reports for distribution to external departments
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Business, Sports Management or related field
• 7-10 years experience in managing a team in Television programming or related sports business field
• Strong knowledge of sports and sports media including television and digital platforms
• Solid program planning/scheduling experience is a must
• Highly proficient in MS Office
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of Paradigm or SIMS program scheduling system and a strong understanding of Nielsen ratings preferred
To be considered, please send resume, salary history and requirements to:
Tennis Channel Inc.
2850 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 150
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Email: HR@tennischannel.com. Subject line must read: "Director of Programming".
The Tennis Channel offers a competitive benefits package including: medical,
dental, vision, and a 401k plan for all full time positions.
To Apply please click below to submit your resume. Be sure to include your
salary history for consideration.